Owners: Swauk Teanaway Grange #984
Address: 1361 Ballard Hill Road, Cle Elum, Wa 98922
Quilt Block: School House with Flying Geese Border
(painted by the Grange Women’s Auxillary)
History: The original building was built on this very site in 1904 as the one room Ballard School for the children of the earliest residents in the Teanaway and Swauk Valley. The property was donated by the Ballard Family (still live on the land below the Grange). Children recieved their education here until 1937 when the building and land were deeded to the Swauk Teanawy Grange.
For the past 70 years it has been a Grange Hall and the center of activity for the rural community in upper Kittitas County. It is one of the most scenic and photographed locations in the area.
In 2004, just weeks before the planned Centennial Celebration of the building, it was destroyed by fire. The members pledged to immediately rebuild this landmark and now it stands, a reminder of our agricultural heritage and a symbol of our rural community pride.
Thousands of people come through the doors of the Swauk Teanaway Grange to attend square dances, concerts, and community potlucks. It is available to rent for meetings, weddings, reunions and memorial services.