Owners: Mary and Doug Pittis of the Iron Horse Inn B&B
Address: 6th & Marie, South Cle Elum, WA
Contact info: (509)674-5939 www.IronHorseInnBB.com
Quilt Block: RAILROAD CROSSING … the perfect quilt block for this neighborhood!
Site History: Indeed, from 1906 to 1980, trains did cross Sixth Street near this location. The Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railway (later known as Milwaukee Road) finished its western expansion over five mountain ranges to the ports of Tacoma and Seattle in 1909. The Milwaukee Road transported agricultural products and stock from Kittitas County both west to the seaports and east to Chicago and beyond. The town of South Cle Elum grew up around the Milwaukee Depot and Rail Yard. The railroad’s property stretched west of this site and included many industrial buildings such as the Depot, Substation, the 13-acre rail yard, roundhouse and turntable, three substation operator bungalows, and a train crewman bunkhouse which is now Iron Horse Inn B&B. In 1980, the Milwaukee Road abandoned the rail line in Washington State. By 1990 Iron Horse State Park had been established on 109 miles of the former Milwaukee right-of-way from Cedar Falls near North Bend to the Columbia River. In 2003, all of the former Milwaukee Road property in South Cle Elum — whether privately owned or part of the State Park — was designated The South Cle Elum Rail Yard National Historic District and placed on the State and National Registers.